In 2019, the Undergraduate Advising Council, wishing to recognize the value of high-quality academic advising at Appalachian State University, established two advising awards. These are presented annually to one faculty member and one staff member who serve as academic advisors or in an advising-related capacity. Award recipients receive a plaque and a $500 stipend.
These awards are intended to be peer-nominated. Faculty and staff from all academic colleges, schools, and departments are encouraged to consider which of their colleagues exemplify excellence in academic advising. Students may complete this form to provide support for a nomination made by a faculty or staff member. However, stand-alone student nominations are not accepted. Students are encouraged to nominate their advisor for recognition through the Student Government Association.
The selection committee will evalute nominations according to the following criteria:
- Consistently demonstrating a caring and helpful attitude
- Delivering accurate information regarding program requirements, including Gen Ed
- Providing insight for semester/career planning
- Informing advisees of available university resources
- Keeping up-to-date on AppState's regulations, policies, and procedures
- Supporting student development through academic, social, and professional engagement
- Monitoring and communicating student progress toward graduation
Award recipients will be eligible to receive the Outstanding Advisor Award again three years after winning.
Outstanding Advisor Award Winners
- Professional Advisor: Callie Hutchens, Beaver College of Health Sciences, Office of Advising and Academic Support
- Faculty Advisor: Professor Gordon Hensley, Department of Theatre and Dance
- Professional Advisor: Janice Koppenhaver, Beaver College of Health Sciences, Office of Advising and Academic Support
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Vicky Klima, Department of Mathematical Sciences